Run for a Cause:
"RunVermont, you put on a great event year after year. I really feel that your efforts improve my quality of life (as someone who lives in the area). Thank you a million times."
RunVermont’s “Miles for a Mission” program was created to help local charitable organizations raise financial support through the KeyBank Vermont City Marathon and Marathon Relay. The program is designed to strengthen ties between the running community and Vermont charities.
We will review each application carefully and do our best to select a diverse group of organizations, a large percentage of which will have a local presence or provide services to our community.
In 2012, 50 3-5 person relay teams and 50 2-person relay teams were awarded. While there are limited relay teams available for new charity partners, there is no limit on the number of marathon slots awarded.
2013 registration prices:
Marathon - $85-$115, date dependent ($5 discount given to M4M Partners)
2-Person Relay Team - $135
3-5Person Relay Team - $190
Responsibilities of the charitable organization:
• Each charity is responsible for overseeing its own fundraising campaign and the total amount of money raised relates directly to the efforts of the charity. We discourage use of paid advertising for relay team recruitment.
• The organization is financially responsible for the registration fees of the awarded slots, regardless of implementation.
• Following the event, each organization is responsible for submitting an event report that shares the results of their fundraising efforts. The report is required before reapplying for the next year’s event.
• We encourage organizations to consider providing volunteer support for the marathon or another RunVermont event.
Benefits to the charitable organization:
• Your guaranteed relay teams allow you to bypass the lottery process in January.
• Your organization will be featured in a RunVermont newsletter prior to the marathon (circa 8000+ subscribers).
• The KeyBank Vermont City Marathon and Relay online registration has an option for all registrants to donate to your organization.
• Your logo (which can be linked to your website) will appear on the Miles for a Mission section of the Vermont City Marathon website.
Organizations must apply to be a charity partner. The 2013 Miles for a Mission application are available in October each year. Applications can be requested by contacting Jen Savas, Registration Director, at 802.863.8412 (toll free 800-880-8149) or via email. Applications are typically due in mid-November.
The application requests the following:
• Organization’s mission
• Proof of Non-profit 501(c)3 status
• Designated contact person and contact information
• Number of marathon and/or marathon relay slots requested. A total of only fifty 3-5 person teams and fifty 2-person teams are available.
• Organization’s plan for using the event for fundraising and the total fundraising goal
• How funds raised will be used, including percentage that will be used in Vermont
• September & October: letters & applications mailed to past charity partners and new applicants
• Mid-November: applications due
• Late November: Miles for a Mission Selection Committee carefully reviews each application
• Early December: Charity notification of marathon/relay slots granted
• All registration fees for relay and marathon slots are due in full to RunVermont no later than December 30, 2012
• January 1: Relay lottery open to public, ability for the charity to enter for more relay slots
• June 15: Final report due from each charity
The Miles for a Mission Selection Committee includes members of the RunVermont staff and Board of Directors, and volunteers. Awardees will be selected with consideration to the impact the work of the organization has on the Vermont community, and to a thoughtful plan for the best use of the marathon or relay slots to raise awareness and support for the organization.
Please contact Jen Savas, Registration Director, at 802.863.8412 (toll free 800-880-8149) or via email